When getting rid of acne, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are the two most common acne treatment ingredients that you will see in the acne treatment products you use. This is because both of these agents are very effective in the prevention and treatment of acne and other acute skin conditions, though they work in different ways. Just like with any other medication or treatment option, there are some cases in which one is more effective than the other at getting rid of acne,
or that one of these acne treatment ingredients will affect your skin in undesired ways. If you're looking for an acne treatment option that will work well for you, it might help to learn a little more about these two common components to acne products. To that end, here is some information on both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid and their effectiveness at getting rid of acne:
#1 Acne Treatment Ingredients ~ Benzoyl Peroxide:
1) Benzoyl peroxide is an antibacterial agent, which makes it a very acne treatment ingredient for those who are suffering from acne. Most acne is, at its core, a bacterial infection. Much of the swelling and irritation of acne is a reaction by the skin to mild bacterial infection. By disinfecting the skin with benzoyl peroxide, you prevent further infection from taking place. Since it is an antiseptic, this acne treatment it also tends to be harsh on the skin.
3) Benzoyl peroxide is also a drying agent. When used regularly, it will dry up your acne, making it a less hospitable place for bacteria to hang out. This is a good thing, but if too much is used, it can also cause skin peeling. This is actually another common use of benzoyl peroxide – the exfoliation of dry and dead skin cells, but don't overuse it, as you only have so much skin!
4) Aside from skin peeling and getting rid of acne, benzoyl peroxide has a bleaching effect so you should be careful when using it and keep it away from colored fabrics and even your hair.
#2 Acne Treatment Ingredients ~ Salicylic Acid
1) Salicylic acid is one of the best acne treatment ingredients extracted from the willow tree. It has been used since early times to cure inflammations of the skin as well as to provide relief from fever. It's an anti-inflammatory agent which makes it a great acne treatment as acne is essentially a skin inflammation, so it can be a big help with getting rid of acne.
2) Not just for acne treatment, salicylic acid can also be used to treat other skin conditions such as psoriasis, warts, and keratosis.
3) Salicylic acid can be found in acne treatment products at around 0.5 to 2%. As with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid is powerful stuff – a little bit goes a long way.
4) Also like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid has a peeling effect if it is used on a regular basis. Peeling is a great way of removing the dead skin cells and prevents the clogging of pores – another great way of getting rid of acne.
5) Although one of the most common side effects of using salicylic acid is dryness of the skin, this usually happens on a minimal basis and can easily be corrected as long as it is still in its early stage of dryness. Any acne-specific moisturizer will do the trick without hampering your efforts at getting rid of acne.
Although both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are effective agents for acne treatment ingredients, you should take the time to determine which of the two is the most compatible with your skin.